Last post I mentioned that I was going to do some research about existing variants, and changes to pieces. Let me tell you something, I found out about existing chess variants and fairy pieces (what the nonstandard pieces are referred too). First of all, the title to this post is the Wikipedia description of a piece called the balloon. The balloon is in four dimensional chess, what is important to keep in mind, that someone has already created a chess variant that takes place on a four dimensional board. I feel like that is a good example of what I found out in researching, chess is crazy and so are all the people who have came up with variants. That's not really a bad thing; I am just overwhelmed by all the crazy things I've found out so far.
In fact, I really don't know where to begin with. It still hasn't been a total loss though, I found that Wikipedia article I mentioned earlier and also this, which is a place filled with chess variants. I also might have some ideas from that. One of the specific complaints I found about traditional has to do with the game at high level play having many different "solved" games that everybody devolves into. This problem inspired the random piece placement seen in the variants such as shuffle chess and chess960. Also my idea for chess with different armies is apparently a thing. Honestly from all this I've decided to put making a chess on the back burner for now and focus on a kind of game I already have a better handle on. I will still probably look into more about the existing chess variants because they are pretty interesting.
i think its good that you are making progress with your game! I am going too look up some of the pieces you mentioned in your blog:) i have really been into board games like chess so i may need to try now! it sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteHey I'm so sorry I haven't been able to comment but hopefully this time it will work because the last time I tried it wouldn't post :( but you have a very interesting idea and I'm sure it will be an awesome turnout!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that these chess variants are extremely interesting! I still can't wrap my mind around 4D chess. I guess I understand wanting to do something original but I think that given the amount of research you did into chess, you should stick with it!
ReplyDelete